Amazing facts about Lord Jagannath Temple Puri
1. The flag atop the temple always flaps in the opposite direction of air.
2. The shadow of the main dome is invisible at any time of the day.
3. The quantity of cooked food inside the Temple remains same for the entire year. But that same quantity of prasadam can feed few thousand people & 20 lakh people, Still it won’t get wasted.
4. From any place in Puri you will always find the Sudarshan Charka (Charka at top of Temple) facing you.
5. In the Temple kitchen, 7 pots are kept one on top of another and cooked on firewood. In this process the contents in the top pot get cooked first & then the bottom one.
6. After entering from Singhadwara’s first step (from inside of the Temple), you cannot hear any sound produced by the ocean. But, when you cross the same step (from outside of the Temple) you can hear it. This can be noticed clearly during evening.
7. Normally during day-time, air comes from sea to land & during evening, the vice-versa occurs. But in Puri it’s totally opposite.
8. The Chariot Festival at Puri was initially performed with 2 sets of chariots ( A total of 6 Chariots ). As there was a river flowing thru in between Sri Mandira and Mausi maa temple, the first set of chariots were used to bring the lords till the river, then the lords had to ferry across the river in three giant wooden boats and aboard the other set of chariots till Mausi maa temple. Amazing but true.
9. No bird or planes fly above the temple.
10. Present day structure of Sri Janagnnath Temple Puri was not the Original built up. Originally Indradyumna had constructed only the main temple. Kings and rulers in subsequent times added Meghanada Pacheri, Mukha sala, Nata Mandapa and other assets to the Temple Complex.