Some facts about the ‘Iron Lady of Odisha’: Nandini Satpathy. The ‘Iron Lady of Odisha’ was far ahead of her time. The ‘Iron Lady of Odisha’ Nandini Satpathy daughter of the soil’, a rebel against contemporary socio-economic ills, a role model for women not only in contemporary India, but even now, Nandini Satpathy was far ahead of her time.
Some facts about the ‘Iron Lady of Odisha’: Nandini Satpathy
* Nandini Satpathy was born on June 9, 1931 & grew up at Pithapur in Cuttack (Near Dolamundai).
* She first assumed office as the Chief Minister June 14, 1972
* At the time she first became CM, the nation was destabilised due to Indo-Pak war. Her tenure ended within a year when Emergency was imposed on India
* She was the close aide of Indira Gandhi
* She was re-elected for her second term from March 6, 1973 to December 16, 1976
* Apart from being a political leader, she was also an eminent author.
Also Read: Fakir Mohan Senapati