Diwali or Deepavali , The Festival of Lights is celebrated with Lighting of small Clay lamps and bursting various kinds of crackers. The festival signifies the triumph of good over evil.These lamps are kept on during the night and one’s house is cleaned, both done in order to make the goddess Laxmi feel welcome.It is believed that bursting of Fire crackers drives away evil spirit.
The land of Lord Jagannath “Odisha” is known for
- Hati ghoda Mithei (Sweets of different animal shape)
- Bada badua Daka (Offering Puja to Late ancestors)
You can kindly follow these safety measures to ensure that you enjoy a happy and safe Diwali.
What to Do?
- Light fireworks outside the house. This may sound simple, but some kids might try lighting sparklers inside the house, increasing the risk of fire accidents.
- Clear the area of all flammable material before you start setting off the fireworks.
- Keep young children away from firecrackers.
- Ensure that there is adult supervision when kids enjoy with fireworks.
- Use Candles/Sticks(kauria) to light crackers – they are safer than using sparklers as they have a contained burning area.
- Wear clothes that fit close to your body while playing with fireworks. Loose flowing clothes are not a good idea.
- Light a firecracker and quickly move away.
- If a firecracker or flower pot does not burn on the first try, do not try to light it again.
- There is a good chance that it might burst unexpectedly. Instead, douse duds with water and then dispose them safely.
- Put burnt fireworks inside a metal container to safely dispose them later. Do not leave them lying around. If any human or animal steps on a hot firework, it can cause severe burns.
- Light aerial display fireworks like rockets on open grounds.
- Keep fire extinguishers or buckets of water ready to deal with any accidental fire.
- Make a note of emergency numbers to call in case of accidents.
- Keep very young children and pets inside the house when lighting fireworks.
What Not to Do?
- Do not ever try to light fireworks while holding them in your hands.
- Don’t not talk in Cellphone while putting Fire to the crackers.
- Do not keep burning candles or lamps near your firework store.
- Do not try to light more than one firecracker at a time.
- Do not point fireworks like rockets towards buildings.
- Do not burst crackers in the middle of the road.
- Do not carry fireworks in your pocket or inside a vehicle.
- Do not try to make homemade firecrackers out of used fireworks. They are extremely dangerous and unpredictable.
- Do not wear nylon or synthetic fabrics when lighting crackers. Well fitting cotton clothes are the best when you’re playing with fireworks.
- Do not bend over fireworks after lighting them, to see if they have been ignited. They could go off and cause serious injury.
- Take care of Children putting Crackers in Mouth.
Enjoy yourself with family and friends and play safely. It is a time of joy and celebration so keep it that way.
What’s New in OdiaLive !